There are many great things about the on set of winter. The very valid excuse to buy more cashmere (it really is the warmest’ of fabrics), super cute bobble hats, Starbucks seasonal cups (have you seen their new autumn cup), snuggling in front of a warm fire with the fam, snow (fingers crossed) and of course Santa!
But sadly, despite all these very wonderful things, thanks to it’s lack of daylight hours, winter for many of us, can signal a very real struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
With our day light hours getting shorter by the day, I asked celebrity facialist and wellness expert Chelseé Lewis (who is based at Nicky Clarke’s Mayfair salon), to share her top five mood lifting tips to combat the effects of SAD, aka the winter depression.
- Take Vitamin D. Vitamin D is a must to take especially in the winter months due to it’s mood lifting effects.
- Exercise. Exercising at least 2 to 3 times per week, (cardio, stretching and relaxing exercises) will give you a much-needed boost thanks to its mood lifting endorphins.
- Eat bananas. Bananas are rich in potassium, which is important for the nerve function in the body. This fruit is known as the happy fruit making you feel more energetic and keeping you in a good mood.
- Neal’s Yard Organic soothing body oil. Massage your body with this oil before you go to bed and you will feel relaxed after your day. The therapeutic benefits of Lavender, Geranium and Bergamot nourishes your body and soul.
- CACI Ultra treatments. This is the original non-surgical anti-ageing facial that reduces lines and is a toning treatment that releases endorphins in the body to make you feel good. The treatment features LED light therapy and is great for SAD and after one session you will receive years of light, which is beneficial for the winter blues. Not only will the treatment lift your spirits but it will also do wonders for your skin. Your skin will be rejuvenated, hydrated, plump and gleaming.
Do you suffer from SAD? Share your tips for combating SAD in the comments below.