Move over contouring, this season it’s all about strobing. The key to faking a more youthful looking complexion, strobing is pretty much the opposite of contouring. Where contouring is about creating the strong chiselled look of Mrs Kardashian-West, Strobing creates a dewy shimmy more youthful looking glow. It’s the perfect cover up for stressed out post-summer skin, plus unlike contouring it’s very easy to master.
So forgot everything you know about contouring it’s time to learn how to Strobe!
Find a highlighter that suits your skin tone. Think champagne tones for fair skin, pale pinks for medium skin tones, golden for olive skin and terracotta for dark skin.
Apply the highlighter where the light would naturally hit your face, along your cheekbones, brow bones, down your nose, and on your cupids bow. Just remember not to go over board, your aiming for fresh, radiant and slightly ethereal, not a walking talking glitter ball.
Now you’ve got the skills, you need the tools. Here are 6 of my favourite strobe creams.
- Wonder Body £8 by Sanctuary Spa. One for the body. Sanctuary Spa’s new Wonder Body tinted moisturiser hydrates, illuminates, refines, transforms and perfects the skin by blurring imperfections. Use on limbs and décolletage to highlight and improve the look and feel of the skin.
- LA Lights Bendable Lip & Cheek Colour £25 by Smashbox. This brilliant multipurpose brightening formula complete with inbuilt blending sponge has made it passed the pack of beauty samples and firmly into my makeup bag.
- Skin Illuminating Powder Duo £76 by Tom Ford . Created to captured the two most flattering shades of natural light, the luminous glow of day light and the radiant golden glow of candle light, this beautifully pigmented duo can be used individually or layered for a multi dimensional glow.
- Illuminating Radiance Powder £50 by Eve Lom. Eve Loms stylishly packed powder is an Instagram filter in a brush. Simply twist and sweep to sculpt, highlight and enhance your features. Unfortunately, this little beauty isn’t launching until November so mark it in the dairy!
- Strobe Cream £24.50 by Mac. The original strobing cream. This makeup artist favourite is super-powered with potent botanicals to refreshed and awaken tired looking skin. Great worn under, over or mixed with foundation.
- Chubby Stick Sculpting Highlight £19 by Clinique. Ever since the first ‘Chubby’ went on-sale many a year ago, they have become a makeup bag must have. This gorgeous long lasting, oil free formula uses light reflecting optics to illuminate your face and bring your best features forward.